An Interview with Pixel Me Pink
Before our “Getting Acquainted” meeting please take a moment to:
1. Read the following commonly asked questions AND
2. fill out our intake form
As entrepreneurs and small business owners ourselves, we are uniquely in-tune with the needs, goals and potential hardships of our clients. Because of this, every service we offer and specifically HOW we provide our services was purposefully designed to be exactly what a small service-based business needs to get to their next level.
We are entirely optimized and custom-built to work with a very specific type of solopreneur and/or small service-based business. Everything we do for our clients starts with one question: “if this were my business, what would I do?”
Because of this, we have never had an unsatisfied web design client.
We are pretty proud of that.
There are three main “archetypes” of providers in the Web Design/Graphic Design/Internet Marketing industry. None of them are inherently “good” or “bad”, but depending on certain factors related to your business, one type of provider will be better for you than another type.
As important as it is to find the most optimal provider for YOU, we also need to make sure we are working with the best clients for us and the way we do things.
The following is an example of a client who is NOT an ideal match for us:
- Someone who does not have the time or desire to work with us on their project.
An unavoidable 6-20 hours of total time will be needed from you in order to complete your project.
- Someone who thinks they may want a lot of revisions because they know they are “really picky” and “particular”.
We offer unlimited revisions, but there is a difference between “improving” a website and unnecessarily making changes based on “personal preference”.
- Someone who does not want to pay for extra work, no matter how “easy” or “hard” it is perceived to be.
- Someone who has an old-school mentality of “I am the customer, therefor I am the boss”.
Past clients who wanted to “drive the bus” did not typically enjoy our very specific and pre-designed process.
- Someone who is a “creative” and wants to design their website THROUGH us,
instead of utilizing our skill-set and experience to do what we do best.
- Someone who does not realize our services took years of education and experience to become good at.
That not just “anybody” can do what we do.
Some people know they will have some work to do on their own end, and some people desire for the web design company to do “all of the work” related to the development of their website.
Neither way is “right” or “wrong”, however we are not a great match for clients who would like to have the web designer do “everything” for them and do not have the desire or time to work with us on their project.
The way our process works is that we will require roughly 6 to 20 total hours of work from you during the process of developing your website. You will need to provide us with information that we feel only you could provide. Things like content (if you haven’t purchased this), photos (if you desire specific ones), brand/competitor/target market information and so on.
Until we have received everything we need from you to complete the project, we do not move forward into the development phases.
Believe it or not, the length of time it takes to complete your website is 100% dependent upon you:
- In the info gathering phase, we need to receive all of the information we request from you before it is possible to begin the design of your website. You could take 2 days to get us what we need, or you could take 6 months. It all depends on how much attention you are willing to give your project.
- Once the website is submitted to you for review and approval, you may or may not need revisions. The more revisions you need, the longer it will take to complete your website. We do our best to limit this need for revisions as much as possible by doing our homework upfront.
Out of all of the clients we have worked with, two were able to complete the process with us in a month and a half, from start to finish. This is extremely rare however. You should expect a time-frame of 3 to 6 months depending on how quickly you can provide us with what we need and how many revisions you request.
Specifically, we specialize at building websites that effectively communicate the Brand of our client’s company, shares vital information that their target market is actually interested in, and then convert the web visitor into becoming a lead/sale. In addition to those main factors, we also do very well with Ecommerce websites so long as they are fundamentally “service” based with the product line, like a “Floral Designer”.
In general, you should expect prices of $3,000 to $10,000 for a properly built small business website, no matter how “simple” it is.
However, there are no standards in our industry when it comes to pricing. The same thing we provide our clients has been valued at $50,000 and even $300,000 by other companies.
If you are paying less than $2,000 for a website (again, no matter how simple it is), there is a good chance that you will have a bad experience or end up with something you do not like, that will need to be rebuilt and paid for all over again. From our experience, this is a VERY common issue for small business owners. It takes a good amount of quality time to build any kind of website.
Specifically, our prices are based on what our most ideal clientele has been able to afford within a budget that is reasonable for THEM.
When we have our “getting acquainted” meeting, we will discuss our packages and pricing with you.
Each phase of development is an entity of its own. We cannot move forward with the development of your project until each one is completed in succession.
Here is a simple breakdown:
- Discovery Phase – we will have meetings or provide you with intuitive/guiding forms to fill out which will provide us with knowledge about your business, your competitors, your target market, your goals/desires and many other aspects of your unique business.
- Information Gathering Phase – during this phase we will prompt you for a list of items that only you could provide us. Things like your domain name registrar’s info (if applicable), content, specific imagery that you may want to use on your website and other assets.
- Design Phase – once all of the information has been gathered for the design of your website, we will schedule a locked in set of time to complete your website (typically between 1-3 weeks).
- Revision Phase (if applicable) – sometimes we hit a home-run and sometimes revisions are needed. We provide unlimited revisions and so if this is needed we will schedule the time to work on them and resubmit the website to you.
- Finalize Phase – finally, once everything is approved by you and you are completely satisfied with your website, we will finish our final list of work to make everything live and setup correctly for long-term use.
It is true that a properly designed website will convert a visitor into a lead, however, without marketing of any kind, the website will not be found by your target market simply because it exists.
A website is part of a marketing pie, of which there are many pieces. Internet marketing or marketing of any kind will reach out to your target market and then drive them to your website. It is then the job of your website to convert them into a lead. Proper and effective marketing costs $1,000+ a month, typically on a 6 month minimum campaign and is a separate service that we do not currently provide.
You will either need to perform your own marketing with guidance from us, or pay a provider to do this for you. We have colleagues in our network that we can refer you to.
Having said that, we include unlimited revisions with everything we do. We understand that things may change once you have seen what we have produced or you might have new ideas. Our greatest pleasure is to have a totally satisfied and happy client. Unlimited revisions are necessary for this to happen. We cannot move forward with the finalize phase or make your website live until you have given us final approval. It is actually impossible for you to not like your website before we complete it. We will not stop doing changes until it is exactly as you want it.
Since all of our clients are entrepreneurs and small business owners, most of them need to be able to make updates and changes to their own site without having to pay someone to do it for them all of the time.
We are aware of this need and so that is why we use a platform called WordPress to build our clients websites, which is widely known for its user-friendly back-end content management system.
Beyond providing you with the easiest to use back-end interface, we also include a website that we have created where you can go to find video tutorials on how to work with the most common elements of your website like adding pages or writing blog posts. If our website does not already have a video for what you are trying to accomplish, all you have to do is ask us for one and within a short period of time we will create a custom video tutorial just for you.
If all else fails and you still need help, we will go step by step with you over the phone or even take over your computer virtually so that we can show you how to make the update on your own.
Here is a quick list:
- Logo Design
- Print media: business cards, flyers, etc.
- Social profile design: Facebook, twitter, etc.
- Hosting and Monthly Maintenance
- Marketing advice and guidance
- And of course, web design
The idea is that if you already have a website, it should cost less to work with it instead of starting from scratch. After many attempts to accommodate this for our past clients, we can tell you very confidently that this does not work. Either it has always cost more to our client in the long-run or we have had to take a loss on the project to complete the work.
Every website is different because every web designer does things differently. If we try to work with what you already have but things weren’t created correctly from the beginning, it will always end up not working out.